Handle crisis in Maldives "properly": China
Beijing: China on Tuesday reacted cautiously to the political turmoil in Maldives and former President Mohamed Nasheed`s decision to seek refuge in the Indian mission in Male, hoping that the issue will be handled "properly".
"The Chinese side sincerely hopes that Maldives could maintain peace, stability and development, and hopes and believes that relevant issue could be properly handled," the Chinese Foreign Ministry said in brief written response to question from PTI here on the situation in Maldives.
This is the first time the Chinese government reacted to the crisis in Male, while the official media here reported the day-to-day developments unfolding in the Maldivian capital as well as New Delhi`s response.
45-year-old Nasheed took refuge in the Indian High Commission on February 13 to evade arrest warrant issued by a Male court in a case concerning the detention of Chief Judge of the Criminal Court during his Presidency in January last year.
China has expanded its influence in India`s backyard in recent years with aid and heavy investment both in Sri Lanka and Maldives.
China opened its Embassy in Male in 2011 which is the only diplomatic mission there other than that of India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
US Embassy in Colombo looks after American interests in Maldives.
Beijing-Male relations were strengthened by visits of the current President Mohammed Waheed, who took over power after Nasheed was "forced out" of Presidency.
China pledged USD 500 million aid during Waheed`s visit here in last September while its tourists numbers have overtaken that of those from Europe in the Indian ocean islands, expanding Beijing`s influence in Male.
Whaeed had denied speculation that his government`s decision to terminate Indian infrastructure major GMR`s Male airport contract has anything to do with China`s growing influence in his country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks