Haqqani group members arrested in Afghanistan
Kabul: Three militants of the Haqqani militant group have been arrested in Afghanistan`s capital Kabul, the country`s intelligence agency said Tuesday.
"Three members of the Haqqani network, named Enayatullah, Khudidad and Mohammad Naim, have been arrested in a recent raid launched by the personnel of National Directorate for Security (NDS) in southern Kabul," Xinhua quoted NDS as saying in a statement.
The Haqqani network, the Taliban-linked group of militants, mostly operates in eastern provinces and Kabul and has been responsible for many high profile attacks against security forces.
They tried to launch terror attacks during the national assembly or Loya Jirga gathering in Kabul, which concluded Sunday, the statement said.
Three suicide jackets, three guns, 34 hand grenades and other ammunition was seized during the raid, the statement noted.
The four-day meeting, after intense debate, endorsed the controversial Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) between Kabul and Washington.
The 2,500-member Jirga called on President Hamid Karzai to sign the BSA by the end of this year, the same demand made by the White House.
But the Afghan leader said the pact would not be inked until after the presidential elections slated for April 5, 2014.
Local analysts said if the two countries failed to clinch a deal which governs the presence of US troops after the 2014 pullout of the NATO-led forces, the US would consider the complete withdrawal of troops, similar to the pullout of US troops from Iraq two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport