Haqqani group members arrested in Afghanistan
Kabul: Three militants of the Haqqani militant group have been arrested in Afghanistan`s capital Kabul, the country`s intelligence agency said Tuesday.
"Three members of the Haqqani network, named Enayatullah, Khudidad and Mohammad Naim, have been arrested in a recent raid launched by the personnel of National Directorate for Security (NDS) in southern Kabul," Xinhua quoted NDS as saying in a statement.
The Haqqani network, the Taliban-linked group of militants, mostly operates in eastern provinces and Kabul and has been responsible for many high profile attacks against security forces.
They tried to launch terror attacks during the national assembly or Loya Jirga gathering in Kabul, which concluded Sunday, the statement said.
Three suicide jackets, three guns, 34 hand grenades and other ammunition was seized during the raid, the statement noted.
The four-day meeting, after intense debate, endorsed the controversial Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) between Kabul and Washington.
The 2,500-member Jirga called on President Hamid Karzai to sign the BSA by the end of this year, the same demand made by the White House.
But the Afghan leader said the pact would not be inked until after the presidential elections slated for April 5, 2014.
Local analysts said if the two countries failed to clinch a deal which governs the presence of US troops after the 2014 pullout of the NATO-led forces, the US would consider the complete withdrawal of troops, similar to the pullout of US troops from Iraq two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state