Harvard student charged with bomb threat hoax: US officials
Boston: A Harvard University student was charged with making a false claim that bombs had been placed at up to four buildings on the school`s campus in a bid to get out of taking a final exam, US prosecutors said on Tuesday.
The prestigious Ivy League school a day earlier had evacuated four buildings from its centuries-old campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, after receiving e-mails that US prosecutors said on Tuesday had been sent by the 20-year-old student, Eldo Kim.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation tracked Kim down at his dorm where, after being read his Miranda rights, the student "stated that he authored the bomb threat e-mails ... he was motivated by a desire to avoid a final exam," according to prosecutors.
Kim is due in federal court in Boston on Wednesday to face one charge of making a hoax bomb report. If convicted he faces up to five years in prison, three years supervised release and a USD 250,000 fine.
The e-mails sent to the Harvard University Police Department, two university officials and the Harvard Crimson student newspaper said that "shrapnel bombs" had been placed in two of four named halls, which included classroom buildings and a dorm. The threat drew a heavy police response, with local, state and federal agents swarming onto the campus.
The Boston area has been on an elevated state of alert since April, when a pair of home-made pressure cooker bombs filled with shrapnel was detonated at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three people and injuring 264.
Kim could not be reached for immediate comment.
Monday`s incident at Harvard was the second major security scare at a prominent US university to be labelled a hoax in the past two months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees