Hate preacher Abu Hamza set for US extradition
London: Hate preacher Abu Hamza and four other men who have been convicted of serious offences ranging from bomb making to fraud and assaulting police will be extradited to the US from Britain, according to BBC news reports.
A British court on Friday rejected a plea by Hamza.
Hamza is charged in the US with 11 counts relating to taking of 16 hostages in Yemen in 1998, advocating jehad in Afghanistan and conspiring to set up a jehad training camp in the US. He lost both hands and an eye fighting the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.
His four sons have already served custodial sentences while the fifth is awaiting sentence for an armed robbery.
Hamza has nine children from two marriages, including a stepson with his second wife.
Two senior judges at the High Court in London dismissed a plea by Hamza, an Egyptian-born 54-year-old former imam, to be allowed a stay of extradition in order for medical tests to be carried out to assess his fitness to face trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir