Hatoyama to revisit Okinawa around May 23
Tokyo: Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama is
planning to revisit Okinawa, possibly on May 23 over the
relocation of a US Marine base in the prefecture, sources
In the upcoming meeting with Okinawa Governor Hirokazu
Nakaima, Hatoyama is expected to seek acceptance from the
governor for a government plan to transfer most functions of
the US Marine Corps` Futemma Air Station within the
prefecture, the sources said.
The premier visited Okinawa on May 4 but failed to win
over local leaders.
Hatoyama told reporters in the evening that even though a
specific date for his next trip to Okinawa has not been fixed
yet, he wishes to revisit the prefecture soon to learn about
the views of local residents.
He also said Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirofumi Hirano will
visit the city of Kagoshima in southwestern Japan on Wednesday
to meet with local assembly members of Tokunoshima Island,
located about 200 kilometers northeast of Okinawa.
To alleviate the burden on Okinawa from hosting the bulk
of the US military presence in Japan, the government aims to
transfer some drills conducted at Futemma to Tokunoshima
Island, according to government sources.
Hirano will hold talks with Tokunoshima politicians who
favor the relocation of some drills held at Futemma to the
island, sources close to the matter said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015