Hatoyama to visit Okinawa over US base issue: Hirano
Tokyo: Japanese Prime Minister Yukio
Hatoyama will visit Okinawa Prefecture on Tuesday to hold
talks with Gov. Hirokazu Nakaima over the issue on where to
relocate a US Marine base in the southernmost prefecture,
Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirofumi Hirano said today.
Hatoyama`s visit to Okinawa is the first since he took
power last September.
Hatoyama, who is aiming to end this row by May 31, is
expected to explain to the governor that he plans to build a
pile-supported facility on the coast of the US Marine Corps`
Camp Schwab in Nago to relocate the Marines` Futemma Air
Station in Ginowan there, instead of reclaiming land from the
sea on the coast in line with an existing accord.
The Democratic Party of Japan-led government is also
planning to transfer up to 1,000 Marines or part of the drills
at Futemma to Tokunoshima Island in Kagoshima Prefecture,
about 200 kilometers northeast of Okinawa.
Hirano said a detailed schedule for the premier`s visit
has yet to be fixed, but according to government sources,
Hatoyama will likely meet with residents on Okinawa and visit
Futemma, Camp Schwab and other locations concerned as well.
But prospects are dim that his plan will win a go-ahead
from local residents, as people on Okinawa are still placing
hopes that Hatoyama will move Futemma outside the prefecture
to keep the pledge he made for last year`s general election
and those on Tokunoshima are dead set against hosting any US
"We are in the process of formulating a government plan
based on the opinions from people in Okinawa, those in
affected areas and the United States," Hatoyama told reporters
at his official residence in the morning.
But Hatoyama has also met with fierce opposition from the
Social Democratic Party, one of the DPJ`s two coalition
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts