Have kept nuclear capability at lowest level: China
Beijing: Refuting reports of an increase in its nuclear arsenal, China on Monday said it has kept its capability at the "lowest level" commensurate with the need of national security.
"We always kept our nuclear capability at the lowest level commensurate with the need for national security", Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a media briefing.
He was replying to questions on Stockholm International Peace Research Institute`s report that it has increased its arsenal along with Pakistan and India.
The Swedish think-tank report said China, which maintains total secrecy of its nuclear programme, had raised its number of nuclear warheads to 250 from 240 at the beginning of this year as part of a process to modernise its defence.
"Our nuclear capability is for self defence and does not pose threat to any other country", Hong said.
"China hopes that the outside world do not make groundless speculation about China`s limited nuclear capability and also believes that the countries with biggest nuclear arsenal shoulder a special and priority responsibility for nuclear disarmament", he said.
"I want to stress that China`s nuclear strategy is the most apparent among all those nuclear weapons countries.
"China is the first country to clearly commit itself to unconditionally not to use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear country or non-nuclear zone", he said.
China also abides by the policy of not using the nuclear weapons first in anytime or any circumstances, he said.
"China always maintains comprehensive prohibition...China never deployed nuclear weapons in any other country", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand