Have kept nuclear capability at lowest level: China
Beijing: Refuting reports of an increase in its nuclear arsenal, China on Monday said it has kept its capability at the "lowest level" commensurate with the need of national security.
"We always kept our nuclear capability at the lowest level commensurate with the need for national security", Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a media briefing.
He was replying to questions on Stockholm International Peace Research Institute`s report that it has increased its arsenal along with Pakistan and India.
The Swedish think-tank report said China, which maintains total secrecy of its nuclear programme, had raised its number of nuclear warheads to 250 from 240 at the beginning of this year as part of a process to modernise its defence.
"Our nuclear capability is for self defence and does not pose threat to any other country", Hong said.
"China hopes that the outside world do not make groundless speculation about China`s limited nuclear capability and also believes that the countries with biggest nuclear arsenal shoulder a special and priority responsibility for nuclear disarmament", he said.
"I want to stress that China`s nuclear strategy is the most apparent among all those nuclear weapons countries.
"China is the first country to clearly commit itself to unconditionally not to use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear country or non-nuclear zone", he said.
China also abides by the policy of not using the nuclear weapons first in anytime or any circumstances, he said.
"China always maintains comprehensive prohibition...China never deployed nuclear weapons in any other country", he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India