Have kept nuclear capability at lowest level: China
Beijing: Refuting reports of an increase in its nuclear arsenal, China on Monday said it has kept its capability at the "lowest level" commensurate with the need of national security.
"We always kept our nuclear capability at the lowest level commensurate with the need for national security", Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a media briefing.
He was replying to questions on Stockholm International Peace Research Institute`s report that it has increased its arsenal along with Pakistan and India.
The Swedish think-tank report said China, which maintains total secrecy of its nuclear programme, had raised its number of nuclear warheads to 250 from 240 at the beginning of this year as part of a process to modernise its defence.
"Our nuclear capability is for self defence and does not pose threat to any other country", Hong said.
"China hopes that the outside world do not make groundless speculation about China`s limited nuclear capability and also believes that the countries with biggest nuclear arsenal shoulder a special and priority responsibility for nuclear disarmament", he said.
"I want to stress that China`s nuclear strategy is the most apparent among all those nuclear weapons countries.
"China is the first country to clearly commit itself to unconditionally not to use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear country or non-nuclear zone", he said.
China also abides by the policy of not using the nuclear weapons first in anytime or any circumstances, he said.
"China always maintains comprehensive prohibition...China never deployed nuclear weapons in any other country", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi