Have substantive talks with Tibetans: US to China
Washington: The United States on Thursday asked China to have substantive talks with the representatives of the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader, without any "pre condition", and called on the Chinese leadership to permit Tibetans to express their grievances freely.
"We urge the Chinese government to engage in a substantive dialogue with the Dalai Lama or his representatives without preconditions as a means of addressing the grievances that the people of Tibet have and to relieve tensions," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
"We continue to call on Chinese government officials to permit Tibetans to express their grievances freely, publicly, and peacefully, without fear of retribution," Nuland said.
Responding to a question, she said that new US Secretary of State John Kerry, in his introductory teleconference call with his Chinese counterpart, raised the issue of human rights violations in the country.
"We are deeply concerned about the overall deteriorating human rights situation in Tibetan areas, including not on the tragic self-immolations, but also that criminal laws have been used to deal with people who have associated with those people," the US official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured