Have substantive talks with Tibetans: US to China
Washington: The United States on Thursday asked China to have substantive talks with the representatives of the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader, without any "pre condition", and called on the Chinese leadership to permit Tibetans to express their grievances freely.
"We urge the Chinese government to engage in a substantive dialogue with the Dalai Lama or his representatives without preconditions as a means of addressing the grievances that the people of Tibet have and to relieve tensions," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
"We continue to call on Chinese government officials to permit Tibetans to express their grievances freely, publicly, and peacefully, without fear of retribution," Nuland said.
Responding to a question, she said that new US Secretary of State John Kerry, in his introductory teleconference call with his Chinese counterpart, raised the issue of human rights violations in the country.
"We are deeply concerned about the overall deteriorating human rights situation in Tibetan areas, including not on the tragic self-immolations, but also that criminal laws have been used to deal with people who have associated with those people," the US official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened