Hawaii lifts tsunami warning after Canada quake
Washington: US authorities have cancelled a tsunami warning for Hawaii hours after a 7.7 earthquake in Canada`s Charlotte Islands sent some residents scrambling to higher land as they prepared for a fierce impact of waves from thousands of miles away.
The tsunami warning was replaced in Hawaii by a tsunami advisory indicating that strong currents or waves that are dangerous to those in or very near the water are expected, but significant inundation is not, CNN reported.
Earlier, local television showed images of bumper-to-bumper traffic on roads leading from the coast to higher ground. About 80,000 people live in evacuation zones on the island of Oahu, where Honolulu is located.
The first waves to hit Honolulu didn`t seem much stronger than usual. But scientists warned people not to be fooled by the initial waves, which often aren`t the biggest.
"It`s not just one wave, it`s a succession of waves," Gerard Fryer, senior geophysicist at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, was quoted as saying by CNN.
"A (magnitude) 7.7 is a big, hefty earthquake -- not something you can ignore," he said. "It definitely would have done some damage if it had been under a city."
Instead, the quake struck about 139 km (86 miles) south of Masset on British Columbia`s Queen Charlotte Islands of Canada. No major damage was reported.
The Alaska Tsunami Warning Center issued a warning for western British Columbia from Vancouver to the southern panhandle of Alaska.
Canadians as far away as Prince Rupert, on mainland British Columbia, felt the quake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends