Head of Taiwan LCD maker barred from leaving US
Taipei: The chief executive of a leading
Taiwanese LCD screen maker has been barred from leaving the US
during a US Justice Department probe into alleged
price-fixing, the company said.
Hsinchu-based AU Optronics Corp. said in a statement
filed yesterday with Taiwan`s Stock Exchange that a US court
has demanded its chief executive, Chen Lai-juh, stay in the
United States until his trial on price-fixing allegations
begins. Chen traveled to the US earlier to prepare for his
defence, the company said.
A federal grand jury in San Francisco indicted AU
Optronics`s Houston-based US subsidiary and six company
officials, including Chen, in June on charges of conspiring to
fix prices of LCD panels worldwide from September 2001 to
LCDs, or liquid crystal displays, are the flat display
screens used in many laptop computers, cell phones and new
The US Justice Department has accused a number of
Asian LCD manufacturers of selling the screens at illegally
fixed prices to companies including Apple Inc., Dell Inc. and
According to the Justice Department, six LCD suppliers
have pleaded guilty to price-fixing charges and have been
ordered to pay fines totaling more than USD 860 million.
Among Taiwanese LCD makers, Chunghwa Picture Tubes
Ltd., Chi Mei Optoelectronics Corp. and HannStar Display Corp.
have all pleaded guilty and paid fines of hundreds of millions
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH