Headley may become `kind` Muslim in jail: Danish cartoonist
Chicago: The Danish cartoonist, against whom David Coleman Headley plotted an attack in retaliation for his sketches of Prophet Mohammed, has said a long prison sentence would give time to the Pakistani-American LeT operative to "convert to more kind Islam".
Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten`s 74-year-old cartoonist Kurt Westergaard says he does not believe in the death penalty and he would be satisfied with a long prison sentence for Headley, who has also pleaded guilty to involvement in the Mumbai attacks.
Westergaard has had three attempts on his life since sketching the cartoons in 2005.
"He (Headley) has to, of course, be put away for many years, but perhaps he can sit in jail, and he may think it all over and perhaps convert to, well, more kind Islam," Westergaard told the `Chicago Sun-Times`.
In January, Westergaard was attacked by an axe-wielding "madman" who broke into his home and tried to kill him in retaliation for the cartoons. With his five-year-old granddaughter in a separate room, Westergaard locked himself into a steel-enforced "panic room", put in place since he drew the cartoon.
"I could have tried to fight the intruder and I would have been slaughtered before the eyes of my five-year-old grandchild," he said.
Instead, he locked himself in the panic room and called for police. While he waited, he could hear the axe as the intruder tried to break through the door. The police came and shot the man, who is now in prison.
On March 18, Headley pleaded guilty to his role in the 26/11 attacks that killed 166 people, including six Americans. He also admitted to a plot to attack the Danish newspaper.
The case is considered as one of the most significant terror investigations in the US, with Chicago`s top federal prosecutor US Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald personally appearing in the court for the proceedings.
This is only the second case that Fitzgerald`s has personally prosecuted since he arrived in Chicago in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway