Health care bill ignores will of America’s people: US Chamber
Washington: Reflecting the mood of the powerful business community on the health care reform bill passed by the US House of Representatives, the US Chamber of Commerce on Sunday said the House made a "wrong and unfortunate" decision that "ignores" the will of the America`s people.
"Americans will not be fooled. This USD 900 billion, 2,800-page bill is not health care reform. It fails to fix what is broken and risks breaking what already works," US Chamber of Commerce president and CEO Thomas J Donohue said in a statement.
"It will drive up health care costs and make coverage less affordable for businesses and families. It marks a major step down the road to a government-run health care system. It will further expand entitlements and explode the deficit, and raises taxes by a half a trillion dollars at the worst possible time," he said, adding that American jobs and growth are at risk thanks to the decision by the House today.
The Chamber president warned that should the legislation passed by the House become law, it will work through all available avenues, regulatory, legislative, legal, and political, to fix its flaws and minimise its potentially harmful impacts.
"Through the largest issue advocacy and voter education program in our history, we will encourage citizens to hold their elected officials accountable when they choose a new Congress this November," he said.
Noting that the business community is strongly committed to providing quality health care to its employees, Donohue said: "While today`s decision will make that task more difficult and expensive, businesses and the Chamber will continue to promote reform that curbs costs, improves wellness, reins in frivolous lawsuits, expands consumer choice, and removes the inefficient heavy hand of government from decisions that should only be made by doctors and patients."
The US Chamber of Commerce is prepared to work with the administration, Congress, governors, companies and their employees and the medical community on real health care reform that improves quality, choice and access for all Americans, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees