Health care bill ignores will of America’s people: US Chamber
Washington: Reflecting the mood of the powerful business community on the health care reform bill passed by the US House of Representatives, the US Chamber of Commerce on Sunday said the House made a "wrong and unfortunate" decision that "ignores" the will of the America`s people.
"Americans will not be fooled. This USD 900 billion, 2,800-page bill is not health care reform. It fails to fix what is broken and risks breaking what already works," US Chamber of Commerce president and CEO Thomas J Donohue said in a statement.
"It will drive up health care costs and make coverage less affordable for businesses and families. It marks a major step down the road to a government-run health care system. It will further expand entitlements and explode the deficit, and raises taxes by a half a trillion dollars at the worst possible time," he said, adding that American jobs and growth are at risk thanks to the decision by the House today.
The Chamber president warned that should the legislation passed by the House become law, it will work through all available avenues, regulatory, legislative, legal, and political, to fix its flaws and minimise its potentially harmful impacts.
"Through the largest issue advocacy and voter education program in our history, we will encourage citizens to hold their elected officials accountable when they choose a new Congress this November," he said.
Noting that the business community is strongly committed to providing quality health care to its employees, Donohue said: "While today`s decision will make that task more difficult and expensive, businesses and the Chamber will continue to promote reform that curbs costs, improves wellness, reins in frivolous lawsuits, expands consumer choice, and removes the inefficient heavy hand of government from decisions that should only be made by doctors and patients."
The US Chamber of Commerce is prepared to work with the administration, Congress, governors, companies and their employees and the medical community on real health care reform that improves quality, choice and access for all Americans, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?