Healthcare bill: US lawmaker apologises
Washington: A US lawmaker opposed to
President Barack Obama`s health care overhaul on grounds it
would lead to government funding for abortion apologized today
for shouting "baby killer" at backers of the bill.
The admission from Republican Representative Randy Neugebauer of Texas solved a short-lived Washington mystery
that had lawmakers, aides, and the media alike seeking out who
hurled the charge during the House`s Sunday debate.
Neugebauer`s angry comment came as Representative Bart
Stupak spoke out in favor of the bill following an 11th-hour
agreement that set the stage for him and other anti-abortion
Democrats to vote in favor of the legislation.
"In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the
phrase `it`s a baby killer` in reference to the agreement"
that ensured passage of the bill, Neugebauer said in a
"While I remain heartbroken over the passage of this bill
and the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn, I
deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a
direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself."
"I have apologized to Mr. Stupak and also apologize to my
colleagues for the manner in which I expressed my
disappointment about the bill. The House Chamber is a place of
decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last
night was inappropriate," said Neugebauer.
Neugebauer had blurted out the accusation after a day of
heated rhetoric in which Republican cast the health care
overhaul in apocalyptic terms, with some saying it would usher
in "totalitarianism" or otherwise erode US freedoms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter