Hearing set for anti-gay marriage amendment
San Francisco: A federal appeals court is set to hear arguments on whether California`s same-sex marriage ban is constitutional in a hearing to be televised nationally.
The three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco will hear arguments Monday on Proposition 8. A trial court judge overturned the voter-approved ban as a violation of gay Californians` civil rights in August.
The panel will first consider if the group that put the measure on the ballot is eligible to appeal since its members aren`t responsible for enforcing marriage laws. Outgoing Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Attorney General Jerry Brown refused to challenge the ruling.
The panel will then hear arguments on the proposition`s constitutionality.
The court last month granted C-SPAN permission to broadcast the proceedings live.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire