Hearing set for anti-gay marriage amendment
San Francisco: A federal appeals court is set to hear arguments on whether California`s same-sex marriage ban is constitutional in a hearing to be televised nationally.
The three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco will hear arguments Monday on Proposition 8. A trial court judge overturned the voter-approved ban as a violation of gay Californians` civil rights in August.
The panel will first consider if the group that put the measure on the ballot is eligible to appeal since its members aren`t responsible for enforcing marriage laws. Outgoing Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Attorney General Jerry Brown refused to challenge the ruling.
The panel will then hear arguments on the proposition`s constitutionality.
The court last month granted C-SPAN permission to broadcast the proceedings live.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Beware! Grilled food not good for health!
- WhatsApp leads messaging apps globally
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Andy Murray survives fresh five-set Paris battle
- Mercedes insist all cool after Spanish storm; Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg clear the air
- Foxconn factory goes 'techno'; replaces workers with 60,000 robots!