Heathrow airport languishes below Kolkata airport
London: Kolkata airport surpasses
London`s Heathrow airport which languishes in 99th place in a
confidential international table that informs the aviation
industry about passenger opinions, a media report said on Wednesday.
According to The Times, Britain`s main gateway, which
operates at the brink of its capacity, is way down in the
rankings of the world`s 146 principal airports, with
passengers bemoaning long security queues and poor "ambience".
Kolkata is 95th in the list while Frankfurt is 126
and Paris Charles de Gaulle is 137th.
According to the report, it takes 40 per cent longer
to fly from Heathrow to Paris, despite more than 30 years of
advances in aviation.
The journey time - measured from departure gate to
arrival gate - has increased from 57 minutes in 1979 to
between 70 and 80 minutes last year, suggesting that
congestion is needlessly delaying flights.
Singapore Changi airport is the best airport in the
world followed by Incheon Seoul, Hong Kong International and
AI Ain, UAE.
Beijing Capital International is the fifth followed
by Pu Deng Shanghai, Gimpo Int, Seoul, Jackson Mississippi
Humberside and Kuala Lumpur International.
"Heathrow has made significant progress over the past
year improving our performance, particularly compared to other
European hub airports," a spokesman for BAA said.
"We are pleased with progress made on improving
courtesy, service and reducing queue times across the airport"
"Clearly there is more that we can do and that is
why we are investing 1 billion pound a year in the airport`s
infrastructure," he said.
The status of New Delhi airport, considered one of
the finest in the world, is not mentioned in the report.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!