Heavily pregnant woman among 100 Syrians rescued off Italy
Rome: The Italian coastguard has intercepted a boat off the island of Sicily with 100 Syrian migrants on board, including 10 women, one whom was heavily pregnant.
A police vessel accompanied the migrant boat into the port at Syracuse on Sicily`s eastern coast, where medical checks were carried out on the migrants, who were all said to be in good health.
An aerial patrol by police located the migrants. Police had received information that a boat had set sail from Egypt for Sicily.
Hundreds of migrants are currently trying to reach southern Europe each week amid a recent surge in illegal migration in the Mediterranean as sea conditions improve during the summer months.
North Africa is the most common departure point for the boats that transport the migrants, although there are other routes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says