Heavy fighting kills 19 in Somalia`s capital city
Mogadishu: Heavy fighting
between Islamist militants and pro-government troops raged in
several parts of Somalia`s capital on Thuursday, killing at least 19
people and wounding nearly 70, an official said.
Mortar shells pounded northern and southern
neighbourhoods in Mogadishu as militants launched attacks with
rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns, according to a
In Mogadishu`s south, government soldiers and African
Union peacekeepers tried to push insurgent back from a
strategic road often used by government officials.
Ali Muse, the head of the city`s ambulance service,
said at least 19 had been killed and 68 wounded.
Somalia`s most dangerous militant group, al-Shabab,
has launched a series of attacks over the last month after
declaring a "new" war against the Somali government. There are
7,100 African Union peacekeepers stationed in Mogadishu that
protect the small enclave where the weak, UN-backed Somali
The country hasn`t had a functioning government since
1991, and the militants hope to overthrow the transitional
government and install a harsh brand of Islam across the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack