Heavy fighting rages in centre of Mogadishu
Mogadishu: Heavy fighting raged early Friday in the centre of Mogadishu between Islamist insurgents and soldiers of the African Union`s peacekeeping force in Somalia (AMISOM).
Artillery exchanges and automatic weapons fire broke out around 2:00 am (2300 GMT Thursday) and continued through the night. After dying down a little, the violence resumed in full intensity at dawn.
The fighting was concentrated around the strategic K4 junction halfway between the Somali capital`s airport and the port, on the edge of an area controlled by the peacekeepers.
The AMISOM detachment there is made up of a few dozen Ugandan soldiers who regularly come under fire from insurgents.
"Kilometre Four" in southeastern Mogadishu is where the airport road meets several other key thoroughfares and is a major flashpoint in the war-ravaged coastal city.
The insurgents launched an attack on K4, an AMISOM source said. The Ugandan soldiers replied with mortar and tank fire.
At around 6:30 am, the fighting moved a few hundred metres (yards) further north along the avenue leading to Villa Somalia, the president`s residence, around another AMISOM position dubbed Shakara, the source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials