Heavy shooting erupts in key town in Ivory Coast`s west
Abidjan: Heavy gunfire and explosions rang out from the strategic town of Duekoue in western Ivory Coast on Monday, residents said, but it was not clear who was involved in the shooting.
Duekoue has remained under the control of incumbent leader Laurent Gbagbo since a 2002-3 war but rebels who seized the north of the country have pushed toward the town as the country`s post-election crisis turns increasingly violent.
"The sound of the shooting is very loud," said Amara Kone, the manager of a local cocoa cooperative in the town. "We don`t know what is happening as no one can go outside but we think that there are clashes."
Philippe Deho, another resident, reported the explosion of heavy weapons but could not give any further details.
There was no immediate comment from either the army or the rebels, who have declared allegiance to Alassane Ouattara, Gbagbo`s rival and the internationally-recognised President.
A reporter in the main city of Abidjan also reported shooting and heavy arms fire overnight, but it was not clear who was involved.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India