Heavy shooting erupts in key town in Ivory Coast`s west
Abidjan: Heavy gunfire and explosions rang out from the strategic town of Duekoue in western Ivory Coast on Monday, residents said, but it was not clear who was involved in the shooting.
Duekoue has remained under the control of incumbent leader Laurent Gbagbo since a 2002-3 war but rebels who seized the north of the country have pushed toward the town as the country`s post-election crisis turns increasingly violent.
"The sound of the shooting is very loud," said Amara Kone, the manager of a local cocoa cooperative in the town. "We don`t know what is happening as no one can go outside but we think that there are clashes."
Philippe Deho, another resident, reported the explosion of heavy weapons but could not give any further details.
There was no immediate comment from either the army or the rebels, who have declared allegiance to Alassane Ouattara, Gbagbo`s rival and the internationally-recognised President.
A reporter in the main city of Abidjan also reported shooting and heavy arms fire overnight, but it was not clear who was involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda