Heavy snowfall leads to blackout in Moscow region
Moscow: For the second time in just over a
week, the Moscow Region has faced the worst blackout in its
post-Soviet history following heavy snowfalls and strong winds
Strong winds, freezing rain and heavy snowfalls have
again led to large areas in Moscow suburbs and rural region
without power, which was restored on the New Year Eve after a
six-day of outage caused by devastating icy rain storm on
Power outage was registered in 88 towns and villages
in the Ramensky, Podolsk, Pavlovo-Posad and Orekhovo-Zuyevo
districts, the Moscow United Electric Grid Company (MOESK) was
quoted as saying by Vesti FM radio.
Due to power outage, the heating of residential
buildings is also down in the nearby major science city of
Troitsk, which is home to top institutes, including Institute
of Nuclear Physics.
Just one week ago, Moscow Region faced worst blackout
in its post-Soviet history as freezing rain led to icing of
transmission lines and their rupture under the weight of ice
affecting one of the country`s busiest Domodedovo Airport and
disrupting movement of commuter trains around.
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin had told Moscow Region
Governor Boris Gromov and Energy Minister to go to blacked out
villages to celebrate New Year with the anguished residents.
Thousands of Muscovites, who are spending their 10-day
long New Year and Orthodox Christmas (January 7) holidays in
their country home (Dacha) have also been badly hit by the
latest power outage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit: Here are answers to 5 key questions on what will happen next in Britain's relations with European Union
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating