Heightened state of alert at Japan atom plant: IAEA
Vienna: Japan has told the UN nuclear wathchdog that a heightened state of alert has been declared at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant after Friday`s major earthquake, the Vienna-based agency said.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said it had also been informed that the plant had been shut down and that no release of radiation had been detected.
Japanese media reported separately that a leak was possible at the plant north of Tokyo as water levels fall, and that some 2,000 residents had been told to evacuate the area.
The government earlier said a cooling function at Tokyo Electric Power`s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant was not working, but there was no radioactive leakage.
The IAEA said in a statement that nuclear fuel requires continued cooling even after a plant is shut down.
"The IAEA is seeking further details on the situation at Fukushima Daiichi and other nuclear power plants and research reactors, including information on off-site and on-site electrical power supplies, cooling systems and the condition of the reactor buildings," it said.
Japanese authorities also reported a fire at the Onagawa nuclear power plant, which has since been extinguished, the IAEA statement said.
"They say Oganawa, Fukushima-Daini and Tokai nuclear power plants were also shut down automatically, and no radiation release has been detected," the statement said.
"The World Meteorological Organization has informed the IAEA that prevailing winds are blowing eastwards, away from the Japanese coast," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune