‘Hero’ Costa Concordia captain `saved lives’
London: A ballet dancer, who was on board the Costa Concordia that ran aground off the Italian coast last week, has come forward to support the captain of the capsized luxury cruise ship, saying he saved at least 3000 lives.
Domnica Cemortan, 25, said she was on the bridge translating Capt Francesco Schettino’s orders for Russian passengers during the frenzied evacuation.
She defended Schettino and crew members against the criticism of a chaotic evacuation, saying they saved thousands of lives, and said the captain ‘was a hero’.
“I stayed on the bridge in case the captain needed me to (translate) ... there were about 20 more officers, cruise directors and the captain,” The Herald Sun quoted Schettino, as saying.
According to the report, Cemortan was allegedly dining with the captain of the doomed cruise ship.
Italian prosecutors said Schettino, who is married, may have been distracted from his duties by trying to impress the dancer.
An Italian passenger claimed he witnessed the captain enjoying a dinner of prawn cocktail, shrimp pasta and grilled fish, accompanied with a decanter of red wine, in the ship`s finest restaurant, the Concordia Club, on the night of the disaster.
Cemortan, however, said it was not her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?