‘Hero’ Costa Concordia captain `saved lives’
London: A ballet dancer, who was on board the Costa Concordia that ran aground off the Italian coast last week, has come forward to support the captain of the capsized luxury cruise ship, saying he saved at least 3000 lives.
Domnica Cemortan, 25, said she was on the bridge translating Capt Francesco Schettino’s orders for Russian passengers during the frenzied evacuation.
She defended Schettino and crew members against the criticism of a chaotic evacuation, saying they saved thousands of lives, and said the captain ‘was a hero’.
“I stayed on the bridge in case the captain needed me to (translate) ... there were about 20 more officers, cruise directors and the captain,” The Herald Sun quoted Schettino, as saying.
According to the report, Cemortan was allegedly dining with the captain of the doomed cruise ship.
Italian prosecutors said Schettino, who is married, may have been distracted from his duties by trying to impress the dancer.
An Italian passenger claimed he witnessed the captain enjoying a dinner of prawn cocktail, shrimp pasta and grilled fish, accompanied with a decanter of red wine, in the ship`s finest restaurant, the Concordia Club, on the night of the disaster.
Cemortan, however, said it was not her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui