Heywood`s death `hugely damaged` China`s image
Beijing: The death of Neil Heywood, a British businessman, has ``hugely damaged`` both China and the Communist Party, the new leader of Chongqing, Zhang Dejiang said.
According to The Telegraph, Zhang Dejiang, one of China`s vice premiers, came to power in Chongqing following allegations that the wife of the city`s former leader, Bo Xilai, had murdered Heywood.
He said the scandal around Bo and his wife, the death of Heywood, and the flight of Chongqing`s police chief, Wang Lijun into the safe haven of the American consulate in Chengdu, should be separated from the achievements made in Chongqing under Bo`s rule.
"The Wang Lijun incident, Neil Heywood`s murder and Bo Xilai`s serious violation of discipline has hugely harmed the image of our Party and of our country," Zhang told the five-yearly congress of party officials in Chongqing.
"We believe that we should separate Chongqing`s achievements and the hard work of the people in the last five years from these three incidents and learn from the mistakes by improving our work,"
The Telegraph quoted Zhang, as saying. The scandal has come at a deeply sensitive time for China, revealing an apparent split at the top of the Communist party just as it prepares to unveil new leaders in the autumn.
While an investigation into Heywood`s death has been concluded, senior Communist Party leaders are yet to decide how to deal with the disgraced couple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow