Hezbollah chief makes rare public appearance for Gaza
Beirut: Lebanese Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah made a rare public appearance Friday to show solidarity with Gaza on the annual Iran-led Jerusalem Day commemoration.
It was only the fifth public appearance by the head of the Shiite militant group, who has topped Israel`s wanted list since even before their deadly conflict in 2006, an AFP correspondent reported.
Nasrallah appeared on stage from behind a curtain to wild applause from the thousands in the crowd at the indoor venue in a southern suburb of the Lebanese capital.
Jerusalem Day, celebrated every year on the last Friday in the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, was this year dedicated to "solidarity with the people and the resistance in Gaza".
As the Palestinian death toll in 18 days of the Israeli onslaught on Gaza topped 800, Nasrallah announced: "Palestine is still the main cause" in the Muslim world.
Hezbollah is currently fighting rebels in Syria alongside forces loyal to President Bashir al-Assad.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview