Hezbollah denies sending drone over Israel: TV
Beirut: Powerful Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah said Thursday it did not send a drone over Israel, hours after the Israeli air force said it shot down an unmanned aircraft off the country`s northern coast.
"Hezbollah denies sending any unmanned drone towards occupied Palestine," the movement`s television channel Al-Manar said, without elaborating.
Israel`s deputy defence minister earlier put the blame squarely on Hezbollah, which had said it was behind a previous drone infiltration on October 7.
"An unmanned aircraft (UAV) was identified approaching the coast of Israel and was successfully intercepted by IAF aircraft five nautical miles off the coast of Haifa at approximately 2:00 pm (1100 GMT) today," the Israeli military said.
Israel`s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said: "I see this attempt to breach our borders as extremely grave. We will continue to do whatever we must to protect the security of Israel`s citizens."
The Jewish state`s deputy defence minister, Danny Danon, said it was clear that Hezbollah was behind the incident.
"We`re talking about another attempt by Hezbollah to send an unmanned drone into Israeli territory," he told Israel`s army radio, describing it as "another attempt to destabilise the Middle East."
However, Israeli military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner was cautious, saying the incident was still being investigated.
"We don`t know where the aircraft was coming from and where it was actually going," he said, adding that the navy was "searching for the remains of the UAV."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference