Hezbollah denies sending drone over Israel: TV
Beirut: Powerful Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah said Thursday it did not send a drone over Israel, hours after the Israeli air force said it shot down an unmanned aircraft off the country`s northern coast.
"Hezbollah denies sending any unmanned drone towards occupied Palestine," the movement`s television channel Al-Manar said, without elaborating.
Israel`s deputy defence minister earlier put the blame squarely on Hezbollah, which had said it was behind a previous drone infiltration on October 7.
"An unmanned aircraft (UAV) was identified approaching the coast of Israel and was successfully intercepted by IAF aircraft five nautical miles off the coast of Haifa at approximately 2:00 pm (1100 GMT) today," the Israeli military said.
Israel`s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said: "I see this attempt to breach our borders as extremely grave. We will continue to do whatever we must to protect the security of Israel`s citizens."
The Jewish state`s deputy defence minister, Danny Danon, said it was clear that Hezbollah was behind the incident.
"We`re talking about another attempt by Hezbollah to send an unmanned drone into Israeli territory," he told Israel`s army radio, describing it as "another attempt to destabilise the Middle East."
However, Israeli military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner was cautious, saying the incident was still being investigated.
"We don`t know where the aircraft was coming from and where it was actually going," he said, adding that the navy was "searching for the remains of the UAV."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened