Hezbollah says Saudi behind blasts at Iran`s Beirut embassy
Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah has blamed Saudi Arabia for a twin suicide attack on the Iranian embassy in Beirut that killed 25 people last month.
Beirut: Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah has blamed Saudi Arabia for a twin suicide attack on the Iranian embassy in Beirut that killed 25 people last month.
The Abdullah Azzam Brigades, an Al-Qaeda affiliate that claimed responsibility for the attacks, "has an emir and he is Saudi, and I am convinced that it is linked to the Saudi intelligence services, which direct groups like this one in several parts of the world," Nasrallah yesterday told Lebanese broadcaster OTV.
While Hezbollah and its regional backer Iran support Syria`s President Bashar al-Assad, Saudi Arabia backs rebel fighters seeking his ouster.
The November 19 bomb attacks on the Iranian embassy came amid major regime offensives on several key fronts in Syria`s brutal war, among them Damascus province and Aleppo.
In his remarks to OTV, Nasrallah said the blasts that hit the embassy, which is located in Hezbollah`s southern Beirut bastion, were "linked to Saudi Arabia`s rage against Iran over its failure" in Syria.