Hijacker`s bullets likely killed HK tourists: Police
Manila: Philippine police said the hijacker of a busload of Hong Kong tourists likely shot dead all eight victims, and that the rescue team did not hit any of the captives in the chaotic end to the standoff.
Police announced the preliminary results of their
findings amid growing pressure from furious authorities in
Hong Kong and China for the Philippine government to quickly
give a full account of Monday`s 12-hour ordeal.
"We can say that with a certain degree of certainty,"
national police spokesman Senior Superintendent Agrimero Cruz
told reporters yesterday when asked if the bullets that killed
the tourists came from the hijacker`s weapons.
Cruz said the initial finding was based on witness
accounts and testimony from the police involved in storming
the bus, as well as the bullets found on the vehicle.
However, he said the police investigation was still
ongoing and that final conclusions had not yet been made.
"We need further evidence from the trajectory exam and
the ballistics exam," the senior officer said.
"The crime lab is having a hard time comparing the
specimen recovered from the bodies because there are mere
metal splinters, but we are doing everything we can and in due
time we can release the result of these ballistics exams."
Ex-policeman Rolando Mendoza took the busload of Hong
Kong tourists hostage in Manila in a desperate bid to have
himself cleared of extortion charges and get his job back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof