Hilda Solis resigns from Obama Cabinet
Washington: US Labour Secretary Hilda Solis has decided to quit Barack Obama`s Cabinet, thus becoming the fourth member after Hillary Clinton, Timothy Geithner and Leon Panetta to announce resignation ahead of the January 21 inauguration of the US President.
While the President has announced to nominate Senator John Kerry as his next Secretary of State and Chuck Hagel as the Defence Secretary to replace Hillary and Panetta, reports say Chief of Staff Jack Lew could be the new Treasury Secretary.
However, any official announcement in this regard is yet to come.
"After much discussion with family and close friends, I have decided to begin a new future, and return to the people and places I love and that have inspired and shaped my life. This afternoon, I submitted my resignation to President Obama," Solis said on Wednesday in an e-mail to the departmental employees.
Solis also praised Obama for taking "bold decisions" for the revival of US economy, and noted that the President enjoys trust of country`s middle class.
"Working with all of you as the nation`s 25th Secretary of Labour, I have come to learn that the work we do every day is indeed a labour of love," she said.
Accepting Solis`s resignation, Obama termed her a critical member of his economic team over the last four years.
He also lauded Solis`s contribution towards recovery of the US economy from the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.
"Her efforts have helped train workers for the jobs of the future, protect workers` health and safety and put millions of Americans back to work," Obama said in a statement.
Democrat Nancy Pelosi said Solis has established an extraordinary record as an unflinching advocate for American workers, a dedicated leader for the equality of women in the workplace, a critical voice for Democrats in Congress, and a bold leader in Obama administration.
"Secretary Solis has been a pioneer and a trailblazer: the first woman to receive the John F Kennedy Profile in Courage Award; the first Latina in the California State Senate; the first Latina Cabinet member in history; the highest-ranking Latina in President Obama`s Cabinet," Pelosi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened