Hilda Solis resigns from Obama Cabinet
Washington: US Labour Secretary Hilda Solis has decided to quit Barack Obama`s Cabinet, thus becoming the fourth member after Hillary Clinton, Timothy Geithner and Leon Panetta to announce resignation ahead of the January 21 inauguration of the US President.
While the President has announced to nominate Senator John Kerry as his next Secretary of State and Chuck Hagel as the Defence Secretary to replace Hillary and Panetta, reports say Chief of Staff Jack Lew could be the new Treasury Secretary.
However, any official announcement in this regard is yet to come.
"After much discussion with family and close friends, I have decided to begin a new future, and return to the people and places I love and that have inspired and shaped my life. This afternoon, I submitted my resignation to President Obama," Solis said on Wednesday in an e-mail to the departmental employees.
Solis also praised Obama for taking "bold decisions" for the revival of US economy, and noted that the President enjoys trust of country`s middle class.
"Working with all of you as the nation`s 25th Secretary of Labour, I have come to learn that the work we do every day is indeed a labour of love," she said.
Accepting Solis`s resignation, Obama termed her a critical member of his economic team over the last four years.
He also lauded Solis`s contribution towards recovery of the US economy from the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.
"Her efforts have helped train workers for the jobs of the future, protect workers` health and safety and put millions of Americans back to work," Obama said in a statement.
Democrat Nancy Pelosi said Solis has established an extraordinary record as an unflinching advocate for American workers, a dedicated leader for the equality of women in the workplace, a critical voice for Democrats in Congress, and a bold leader in Obama administration.
"Secretary Solis has been a pioneer and a trailblazer: the first woman to receive the John F Kennedy Profile in Courage Award; the first Latina in the California State Senate; the first Latina Cabinet member in history; the highest-ranking Latina in President Obama`s Cabinet," Pelosi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister