Hillary asks Belarus to put an end to crackdown
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton slammed Belarus for carrying out repressive acts against the opposition, media and civil society following a disputed presidential election last month.
Clinton met Belarusian and Belarusian-American human rights activists to discuss recent events in the country and urged Minsk to end the acts of repression. The Secretary of State condemned the conduct of Belarus`s presidential election and the crackdown on political leaders and activists, civil society representatives and journalists.
"She stressed her concern for detainees and for their family members, noting the US Embassy in Minsk`s efforts to remain in close contact with them," State Department spokesman P J Crowley said.
The US and the European Union have issued two joint statements condemning the violence and calling for the immediate release of all who are detained. Clinton, during the meeting repeated this appeal and urged an end to the crackdown.
Belarus has also ordered the closure of European Union`s watchdog -- the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) office in Minsk -- after it criticised the handling of the country`s presidential polls.
Clinton told the activists that the US is watching the government`s actions closely and considering a response to those actions.
The United States will continue its support for and engagement with the people of Belarus, Crowley said.
"We`re trying to show our engagement. We are concerned about the situation in Belarus and we`re going to stay engaged on this issue.
"We would just send a clear message that these individuals have the right to meet with whoever they choose to," State Department Deputy Spokesman Mark Toner told reporters at a news conference earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- India ranked worst performer at Rio Olympics amongst medal winning countries
- Should Rahul be blamed for all Congressmen's crimes, asks BJP
- Shoaib Akhtar gets Birthday bash on TV show "Mazaak Mazaak Mein"
- WikiLeaks to release 'significant' material on Clinton
- Fernando Alonso praises McLaren as Honda introduce engine upgrades