Hillary calls for `immediate end` to I Coast violence
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton has condemned Ivory Coast strongman Laurent Gbagbo and
his forces for violence in the African nation and for a
"callous disregard" for life.
"The United States calls for an immediate end to the
violence," Clinton said in a statement that took aim at
Gbagbo, who is resisting calls from the world community to
hand the presidency to recognized November election winner
She said the "United States strongly condemns" attacks
by Gbagbo`s forces on his own people, including one Thursday
on unarmed women demonstrators that left seven dead. His
forces denied responsibility.
"Gbagbo and his forces have shown a callous disregard
for human life and the rule of law, preying on the unarmed and
the innocent. He should step aside immediately in the name of
peace," she said.
"Gbabgo`s selfish effort to cling to power despite
losing the election has elevated tensions and eroded the
fundamental rights of Ivoirian civilians," the chief US
"Since December, Gbagbo has used security forces to
attack the very people he claims to represent, and deprived
Ivorian citizens of access to water and electricity," said the
In calling for an end to the violence, she said:
"Military leaders, regime officials, and others responsible
for directing or committing violent acts against civilians
will have to answer for their actions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy