Hillary Clinton admitted to hospital with blood clot
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has been admitted to a hospital in New York after the discovery of a blood clot stemming from the concussion she sustained earlier this month.
Hillary was admitted after her doctors on Sunday discovered the clot while performing a follow-up exam, her spokesman, Philippe Reines, said.
No more information was given about the location of the clot but Reines said Hillary is being treated with anti-coagulants and would remain at New York-Presbyterian Hospital for at least the next 48 hours so doctors can monitor the medication.
"Her doctors will continue to assess her condition, including other issues associated with her concussion," Reines said in a statement. "They will determine if any further action is required."
Hillary is scheduled to stand down as secretary of state before US President Barack Obama officially begins his second term in January.
The 65-year-old Hillary fell and suffered a concussion while at home alone in mid-December as she recovered from a stomach virus that left her severely dehydrated. The concussion was diagnosed on December 13 and Hillary was forced to cancel a trip to North Africa and the Middle East that had been planned for the next week.
Hillary was also forced to cancel December 20 testimony before Congress about a scathing report on the September 11 attack on the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
The report found that serious failures of leadership and management in two State Department bureaus were to blame for insufficient security at the facility. Hillary took responsibility for the incident before the report was released, but she was not blamed.
Some conservative commentators suggested Hillary was faking the seriousness of her illness and concussion to avoid testifying, although State Department officials vehemently denied that was the case.
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India