Hillary Clinton admitted to hospital with blood clot
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has been admitted to a hospital in New York after the discovery of a blood clot stemming from the concussion she sustained earlier this month.
Hillary was admitted after her doctors on Sunday discovered the clot while performing a follow-up exam, her spokesman, Philippe Reines, said.
No more information was given about the location of the clot but Reines said Hillary is being treated with anti-coagulants and would remain at New York-Presbyterian Hospital for at least the next 48 hours so doctors can monitor the medication.
"Her doctors will continue to assess her condition, including other issues associated with her concussion," Reines said in a statement. "They will determine if any further action is required."
Hillary is scheduled to stand down as secretary of state before US President Barack Obama officially begins his second term in January.
The 65-year-old Hillary fell and suffered a concussion while at home alone in mid-December as she recovered from a stomach virus that left her severely dehydrated. The concussion was diagnosed on December 13 and Hillary was forced to cancel a trip to North Africa and the Middle East that had been planned for the next week.
Hillary was also forced to cancel December 20 testimony before Congress about a scathing report on the September 11 attack on the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
The report found that serious failures of leadership and management in two State Department bureaus were to blame for insufficient security at the facility. Hillary took responsibility for the incident before the report was released, but she was not blamed.
Some conservative commentators suggested Hillary was faking the seriousness of her illness and concussion to avoid testifying, although State Department officials vehemently denied that was the case.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users