Hillary Clinton is tireless and extraordinary: Obama
Washington: Describing Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who is recouping from a stomach infection, as a "tireless and extraordinary" lady, US President Barack Obama has wished her a speedy recovery.
"She is tireless and extraordinary. I spoke with her this past week. We can`t wait to have her back. I know that all of you join me in sending her wishes for a speedy recovery," Obama said in his remarks at a holiday diplomatic reception held at the Foggy Bottom headquarters of the State Department.
Clinton could not be present because of her illness.
"Had Secretary Clinton been able to join us, I was going to congratulate her on her record-breaking travels, visiting 112 nations, just about every one of the countries that are represented here this evening -- more than 400 travel days; nearly 1 million miles," Obama said.
"These are not frequent flyer miles. She does not get discounts. I suspect she`s not going to be flying commercial that much after she leaves the State Department," Obama said.
Clinton would be leaving the State Department at the end of the first term, which ends next month.
Clinton, the most travelled US top diplomat ever, will not be able to make any trips for several weeks, a top aide said.
"Given her condition, the secretary`s doctors have advised that she may not fly for any significant duration in the coming weeks," her closest aide, Philippe Reines said in a statement.
"So as things stand we are not planning any travel through mid-January."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city