Hillary Clinton says Merkel is Europe`s "greatest leader"
Berlin: Former US secretary of state Hillary Clinton called Chancellor Angela Merkel "the greatest leader in Europe" during a visit to Berlin on Sunday and said it was high time America had a woman leader too, though without confirming she would seek the job.
Hillary Clinton also referred to Russian President Vladimir Putin as a "tough customer with a pretty thin skin" in an appearance at a Berlin theatre to promote her new book, "Hard Choices".
The former senator and wife of ex-President Bill Clinton is widely expected to run for the White House in 2016 and has cited Merkel as a good argument for the United States having a woman president soon.
"I think we are ready for a woman to break through the glass ceiling," Hillary Clinton said in an interview with Bild am Sonntag newspaper, adding that she would decide whether to run for president "at the end of this year or early next year".
Hillary Clinton joked at the Schiller Theater about her and Merkel`s shared taste for pants suits and voiced admiration for the chancellor`s leadership of Europe in the euro zone debt crisis.
"I say in the book I think she is the greatest leader in Europe, I think she is a great leader globally, I think she carried Europe on her shoulders and it wasn`t easy," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row