Hillary Clinton’s campaign supporters indicted
Washington: Two Virginia businessmen were charged on Wednesday in an alleged conspiracy to illegally reimburse campaign donors for USD 186,600 in contributions to a 2008 presidential candidate and to the candidate`s 2006 Senate campaign.
Federal campaign finance records show that both men were donors to Hillary Rodham Clinton`s campaigns in 2006 and 2008.
A grand jury indictment handed up in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, also accuses William P Danielczyk Jr and Eugene R Biagi of covering up the reimbursements.
The two men allegedly distributed back-dated letters to 15 contributors that falsely characterised reimbursements for contributions as "consulting fees”. The indictment alleges the two men also created checks to 17 contributors containing a memorandum line falsely stating that each check was for "consulting fees”.
Besides conspiracy and obstruction of justice, Danielczyk, 49, and Biagi, 76, were accused of two counts of reimbursing contributions and one count of using corporate funds to reimburse contributions. The indictment also charges Danielczyk with two counts of causing false statements to be submitted to the Federal Election Commission.
The two men, who live in the Washington suburb of Oakton, Virginia, allegedly reimbursed USD 30,200 to eight contributors to the 2006 Senate campaign, and reimbursed USD 156,400 to 35 contributors to the 2008 presidential campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Quake brings down buildings in central Italy, at least six believed killed
- Work on 'Padmavati' sets in full swing, shoot begins in September
- Japan, China, South Korea agree to urge North Korea to stop provocation
- Venus-Jupiter conjunction on August 27: Viewing tips! (Watch)
- Staying at budget hotels in Delhi to soon become cheaper