Hillary says US wants to get China ties `right`
Honolulu: Washington is committed to getting
relations "right" with China, US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton has said ahead of talks next month between the US and
"The relationship between China and the United States is
complex and of enormous consequence... but we are committed to
getting it right," Clinton said yesterday.
"There are some in both countries who believe that
China`s interests and ours are fundamentally at odds. They
apply a zero-sum calculation to our relationship, so whenever
one of us succeeds, the other must fail," Clinton said.
"But that is not our view. In the 21st century, it is not
in anyone`s interest for the United States and China to see
each other as adversaries."
Clinton was in Honolulu for talks with Japanese Foreign
Minister Seiji Maehara -- whose country is embroiled in a spat
with China over a disputed island chain in the East China Sea
-- at the start of a tour of the region.
In the gruelling two-week tour, Clinton`s trip will
include stops in Vietnam, China, Cambodia, Malaysia, Papua New
Guinea, New Zealand, Australia and American Samoa.
The White House earlier announced President Barack Obama
will meet Chinese President Hu Jintao in South Korea next
month as Sino-US economic tensions flare and territorial rows
fester between Beijing and its neighbours.
Announcing Obama`s seventh bilateral talks with Hu, which
they billed as a record for a US president in office for two
years, White House officials also disputed suggestions that
US-China relations were deteriorating.
Obama will meet Hu, in talks which will prepare the way
for the Chinese leader`s visit to the United States in
January, in Seoul on November 11, ahead of the G20 economic
summit, the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves