Hillary suffers misspeaking relapse in Belfast: Report
London: It seems Hillary Clinton refuses to learn from past mistakes -- yes, the US Secretary of State has "bombed" again with another war story that never happened, this time in Belfast.
In a speech which she made at the Stormont Assembly on her recent visit to Northern Island, Hillary said Belfast`s landmark Europa Hotel was devastated by an explosion when she first stayed there in 1995, according to the `Sunday Life`.
She told a packed Assembly last Monday: "When Bill and I first came to Belfast, we stayed at the Europa Hotel... even though then there were sections boarded up because of damage from bombs."
But the last terror strike on the landmark building was 1993 -- two years before she checked in as First Lady with president husband Bill Clinton, the newspaper said, claiming that renovations were completed on the hotel in January 1994 -- some 22 months before they stayed there.
In fact, quoting hotel sources, the report said there was "no way" there was a board in sight when the power couple arrived in Northern Island. US Secretary of State`s latest slip-up has echoes of her blooper last year -- when she said she "misspoke" after telling a story about dodging sniper fire in Bosnia in 1996.
During the presidential campaign Hillary drew on her Bosnia experience, saying: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport but we just ran with our heads down to get in the vehicles to get to our base."
A spokesman for Hillary said that she had simply been trying to express a sincere "perception" of Belfast in darker days. "We are not talking about the same thing (as misspeaking about Bosnia). Hillary was simply contrasting."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly