Hillary to endorse Ami Bera for Congressional seat
Washington: Former US President Bill Clinton will endorse Indian American Ami Bera, the Democratic Party candidate for the US House of Representative, giving a big boost to his electoral prospects from California.
Clinton, according to Sacramento Bee, would endorse four Democrats running including Bera in some of the country`s most closely watched congressional races.
Bera is contesting from California`s 7th Congressional District; which is seen by political experts as one of the nation`s most competitive.
Parents of Bera, 45, immigrated to the US from India over 50 years ago.
Last week, Bera was endorsed by Sacramento Bee, the largest newspaper of the area.
"Bera has several qualities that would make him an able representative," the endorsement reads.
If elected Dr Bera would be only the third Indian American to ever be the member of the US House of Representatives after Dalip Singh Saund and Bobby Jindal.
In addition to Bera, four other Indian Americans are in the fray for the Congress.
They are Upendra Chivukula from New Jersey, Ranjit "Rikky" Gill from California; Dr Manan Trivedi from Pennsylvania and Dr Syed Taj from Michigan.
Of these all are from the Democratic Party, except for Gill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report