Hillary to endorse Ami Bera for Congressional seat
Washington: Former US President Bill Clinton will endorse Indian American Ami Bera, the Democratic Party candidate for the US House of Representative, giving a big boost to his electoral prospects from California.
Clinton, according to Sacramento Bee, would endorse four Democrats running including Bera in some of the country`s most closely watched congressional races.
Bera is contesting from California`s 7th Congressional District; which is seen by political experts as one of the nation`s most competitive.
Parents of Bera, 45, immigrated to the US from India over 50 years ago.
Last week, Bera was endorsed by Sacramento Bee, the largest newspaper of the area.
"Bera has several qualities that would make him an able representative," the endorsement reads.
If elected Dr Bera would be only the third Indian American to ever be the member of the US House of Representatives after Dalip Singh Saund and Bobby Jindal.
In addition to Bera, four other Indian Americans are in the fray for the Congress.
They are Upendra Chivukula from New Jersey, Ranjit "Rikky" Gill from California; Dr Manan Trivedi from Pennsylvania and Dr Syed Taj from Michigan.
Of these all are from the Democratic Party, except for Gill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- WATCH: TERRIFYING! Ten times Brock Lesnar showed no mercy to his WWE opponents
- Why locals in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir are protesting against Nawaz Sharif's PML(N), ISI – Watch video
- Akshay Kumar to start Divya Khosla's next in September
- Woman killed for dowry in Etah; husband, five others booked
- Three charred to death as bus catches fire in Karnataka