Hillary tours Shanghai Expo ahead of Beijing talks
Shanghai: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton toured the World Expo in Shanghai on Saturday ahead of talks likely to focus on the sinking of a South Korean warship, blamed on North Korea.
Clinton appeared relaxed as she visited China`s much-touted Expo before discussions in Beijing that are expected to be dominated by the row.
A multinational panel on Thursday concluded that a North Korean submarine torpedoed the South Korean corvette Cheonan in March, killing 46 sailors.
A senior US official travelling with Clinton told reporters in Shanghai that she would "try to make a powerful case about why this is an extraordinarily serious matter and why we want the strong cooperation from China."
"We`d like to see them acknowledge the reality of what happened and then join with South Korea, Japan and us in helping to fashion a response that helps to change North Korean behaviour," the official, who asked not to be named, said late Friday.
Pyongyang quickly rejected the investigators` findings and launched threats of war if it is punished by the international community.
China -- Pyongyang`s sole major ally -- called for restraint and said it would make its own assessment of the investigators` report.
Beijing`s support is seen as key for any international action targeting the North. It is one of five veto-wielding members of the UN Security Council.
But such matters were on hold until the Beijing portion of her trip as Clinton arrived Saturday in light rain at the US pavilion -- one of the most visited at the Shanghai Expo - where around 500 Chinese greeted her with cheers.
"Without her, there would be no USA pavilion," a moderator boomed over loudspeakers as images of Shanghai and the United States were projected on giant video screens.
Clinton has been credited with raising much of the 61-million-dollar operating budget for the pavilion that was built after numerous delays due to a US law prohibiting Expo pavilions from being funded by the taxpayer.
After viewing films at the venue, Clinton had her photo taken with a group of Chinese children chatting in English.
"I`m jealous and very impressed with your English. I can only speak one language," she said.
She will have dinner with State Councillor Dai Bingguo, China`s top foreign affairs policymaker, after her arrival in Beijing Sunday.
Clinton and US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner will lead a US delegation in two days of talks on Monday and Tuesday with Chinese leaders on issues including North Korea, trade disputes, the value of the yuan and the international standoff on Iran.
"Few global problems can be solved by the US or China alone, and few can be solved without the US and China together," Clinton said in a commentary published Friday in China`s state-run Global Times ahead of her arrival.
Washington and Beijing have gone through a rocky patch since the start of 2010, with the two sides at odds over US arms sales to Taiwan, Obama`s White House meeting with the Dalai Lama, the value of the Chinese currency, the yuan, and Internet freedom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015