Hillary urges Iran to release political prisoners
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Wednesday urged Iran to release political prisoners held after protests over the disputed elections last month.
"We believe that it is imperative for the (Iranian) authorities to release political prisoners," Hillary told a press conference with British Foreign Secretary David Miliband.
Hillary also said the United States deplores reports from Iran that political prisoners were allegedly being abused.
Iran`s "continuing detention and abuse of political prisoners certainly suggests that the political situation inside of Iran has not yet resolved itself," she said.
She reiterated US support for the "people of Iran being able to express their opinions, being able to demonstrate freely and openly and engage in peaceful protests."
Saeed Jalili, a senior official in Tehran, said yesterday that Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has ordered a jail holding protesters detained after last month`s election to close as it is not up to required standards.
Iranian judicial officials say that around 300 protesters arrested during the demonstrations that followed President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s hotly disputed re-election are still being detained.
In all, up to 2,000 protestors, political activists and journalists were detained but most have since been released, official report says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!