Hindus, Huntsman condemn political advertisement
Washington: Republic presidential candidate Jon Huntsman has slammed as "stupid" a web video using images of his adopted daughters from India and China to suggest that he doesn`t have American values.
"If someone wants to poke fun at me, that`s OK," Huntsman said. "What I object to is bringing forward pictures and videos of my adopted daughters and suggesting there`s something sinister there."
He called the video, posted by a group backing GOP rival Ron Paul, "stupid" and "political campaign nonsense”. The video includes footage of Huntsman, a former US envoy to China, speaking Mandarin and holding his adopted Chinese-origin daughter 12-year-old Gracie.
There is also an image of him holding another daughter, Asha, who was adopted from India and is now 6. Both are sporting bindi in the picture.
The Huntsmans have seven children. Meanwhile, a Hindu American group also strongly condemned the advertisement, as the ad criticises Huntsman for raising his adopted Indian daughter in her native Hindu faith.
"This deplorable ad is blatantly racist and religiously intolerant, and crosses all lines of acceptable political discourse," Hindu American Foundation managing director Suhag Shukla said in a statement.
"Instead of vilifying Governor Huntsman, he should be applauded for being open minded enough to raise his adopted daughter as a Hindu," Shukla said.
"To attack a candidate`s family, particularly his young daughters, is completely unacceptable and should be denounced by all Americans," said Samir Kalra, HAF director and senior fellow for Human Rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa