Hindus should receive Jesus as saviour: US senator
Washington: The governor of the US state of Kentucky found himself at the receiving end of criticism from his Republican challenger, who termed his participation in a Hindu ceremony as `idolatrous`, sparking anger in the Hindu
Kentucky State Senator, David Williams, a hopeful for the
gubernatorial post, had lashed out at Governor Steve Beshear,
for his participation in a `bhoomi poojan` or ground breaking
ceremony of a manufacturing facility last week.
Williams charged that the actions of Beshear were
tantamount to "idolatry".
He stated that as a Christian, he would not participate in
Jewish, Muslim, or Hindu prayers, and hoped Hindus would open
their eyes and "receive Jesus Christ as their personal
The comments have enraged the Hindu American community,
with the Washington-based Hindu American Foundation (HAF)
strongly condemning it as a "blatant attack".
"The words of Senator Williams are not only an affront to
Hindu Americans, but all Americans as he conjures up the
lowest sentiments of exclusion and bigotry," said Suhag
Shukla, managing director and legal counsel of HAF.
"He`s shown he`s ignorant and intolerant -- two qualities
we hope Kentuckians will reject at the polls," Shukla said.
William is challenging Beshear in the State Gubernatorial
elections. He trails the incumbent by a nearly 2-1 margin in
William also criticised the Governor for sitting
cross-legged with a "dot on his forehead", and described the
ceremony as "polytheistic".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars
- Expect 8% GDP growth in FY17 on back of good monsoon: Shaktikanta Das
- Saarc FMs meet focused on trade, tax avoidance pacts: Das
- Centre to replace J&K governor? Five names doing rounds as his successor
- Arun Jaitley pitches for BRICS arbitration platform