Hiroshima marks 67th anniversary of atomic bombing
Hiroshima: Hiroshima marked the 67th anniversary of the US atomic bombing on Monday, renewing its call for the elimination of nuclear weapons and more help for aging survivors fighting health problems caused by radiation from the bomb blast.
Among the attendees of a peace ceremony will be a grandson of the late US President Harry Truman, who ordered the August 6, 1945 atomic bombing of the western Japan city, as well as the US ambassador to Japan and the top envoys of two other nuclear powers Britain and France.
The memorial comes at a time when an increasing number of people in Japan are concerned about radiation-induced health problems in the wake of the 2011 nuclear crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant that released a massive amount of radioactive materials.
Hiroshima Mayor Kazumi Matsui will ask leaders of countries that have nuclear weapons to visit the city in the Peace Declaration he will read out during the ceremony at the Peace Memorial Park, which will be also attended by Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda.
Along with Truman`s grandson, Clifton Truman Daniel, a grandson of US radarman Jacob Beser, who was aboard both airplanes that dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, will take part in the annual event.
US Ambassador John Roos attended the ceremony in 2010. British Ambassador David Warren and French Ambassador Christian Masset will do so for the first time, according to the city office.
Representatives from 71 countries including other nuclear powers such as Russia are also expected to attend the commemoration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs