Hiroshima updates number of A-bomb victims
Osaka: The Japanese city of Hiroshima released a new report on Thursday about the actual damage from the 1945 atomic bombing, updating the total number of victims to 557,478.
This was more than 15,000 people recorded in the previous file, reports Xinhua.
The report was compiled as part of the city`s more than 30-year-old investigative project on the victims, focusing on demographic changes in recent decades.
The released data was based on the latest tallies, calculated until 2011 with 120,000 additional historical sources such as medical treatment notes and necrologies, according to the research division of the Atomic Bomb Survivors Relief Department at the Hiroshima City Office.
The report also updated the actual number of "direct victims" of the atomic bombing -- those who were within the city and its neighbouring towns and villages -- to 384,743, while the number of victims who have died so far is 277,996, less than the 280,959 indicated by previous data in 1999.
Kaoru Ohsugi, the director of the division, told Xinhua that since there were still different ways to interpret the numbers concerning the A-bomb victims and damage, the division decided to update the figures, collecting new information and checking the details using computers.
"Considering the remaining time the survivors have to live and the verification procedures we can use, this report may be the last edition the city officially issues," Ohsugi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe