Hiroshima updates number of atomic bomb victims
Tokyo: The number of victims of the 1945 atomic bombing of the Japanese city of Hiroshima has climbed up a notch to 557,478 - 15,000 more than the previously recorded figure, according to a new report.
The total number of the explosion-affected people or "hibakusha" from the Second World War atomic bombing by the US is more than 15,000 people recorded in the previous file, according to research conducted by the city government.
Based on a fresh review of 120,000 documents which was undertaken by computer for the first time, the number of atomic bomb victims has grown by around 15,000 compared with the previous tally 14 years ago, the data showed, Kyodo News agency reported.
Of the latest figure, 384,743 hibakusha were confirmed to have been in the city or nearby towns and villages when the Atomic bomb was dropped in 1945, up by around 12,000 from the previous survey.
The remainder includes people who later entered areas near ground zero and those who lacked sufficient information about their whereabouts.
After eliminating duplications, the death toll from the bombing was lowered to 277,996, from the previously reported 280,959, the report said.
The study will most likely be the last one because 68 years have passed since the bombing and it is unlikely that any new documents will be discovered, an official suggested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!