Hispanic voters helped Barack Obama win US polls
Washington: US President Barack Obama won his re-election bid to the White House after garnering a diverse coalition of support from women, minorities, the young and a new powerhouse in American politics – the Hispanics.
While Republican rival Mitt Romney’s votes came overwhelmingly from older white voters, whose share of the electorate is diminishing, Obama’s success was fuelled by the Hispanic vote, which is growing in numbers and influence with every election.
As America’s fastest-growing demographic, Hispanics made up to 10 percent of all votes cast on Tuesday – and they backed Obama in huge numbers.
According to the Daily Mail, angered by Romney’s hard line stance on immigration, Hispanics voted for Obama by an overwhelming 70 to 30 percent margin.
In Florida, the biggest battleground with 29 electoral votes, Romney’s failure to secure the state was blamed squarely on losing the Hispanic vote, the paper said.
There was no surprise that black voters backed the President by a massive majority, and his election victory was also boosted by women and younger Americans, it added.
Matt Barreto, a political scientist at the University of Washington, said it was critical for the president to retain the Hispanic voting bloc, especially because he lost support among white men – which had declined to 36 percent from 41 percent four years ago, the report said.
“We saw Obama’s standing among Hispanics and overall voter enthusiasm increase after his announcement this summer,” Barreto said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow