Hitler saved by priest when he was 4 years old?
London: A four-year-old boy saved by a priest from drowning in the icy waters of the River Inn in Germany in 1894 could have been Adolf Hitler, say historians.
According to a newspaper report, which has surfaced in a
German archive, the child was plucked from the river in Passau
in January 1894. It quoted Max Tremmel, a priest who become
one of Europe`s most famous organists, that his predecessor
Johann Kuehberger had rescued "the terrified Hitler".
In fact, Father Tremmel told before his death in 1980 how
Father Kuehberger, around the same age as Hitler, had seen the
other boy struggling in the river and dived in to rescue him.
The story was never verified by the Nazi dictator during
But now a small cutting from the Donauzeitung --
Danube newspaper -- of 1894 has been found in Passau. It says
how a "young fellow" fell through the thin ice of the river in
January of that year.
The report described how a "determined comrade" --
the paper at the time was leftwing -- went into the freezing
water to save the child who would grow into mankind`s biggest
monster, the `Daily Mail` reported.
The near-drowning episode also featured in a German book
called `Out of Passau -- Leaving a City Hitler Called Home`,
by Anna Elisabeth Rosmus.
She wrote: "The banks of the River Inn provided an
idyllic setting for the children to play. In 1894, while
playing tag with a group of other children, the way many
children do in Passau to this day, Adolf fell into the river.
"The current was very strong and the water ice cold,
flowing as it did straight from the mountains. Luckily for
young Adolf, the son of the owner of the house where he lived
was able to pull him out in time and so saved his life."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview