Hitler statue in Warsaw Ghetto sparks outrage
London: A modern artist has sparked controversy by placing a statue of Adolf Hitler praying on his knees in the former Warsaw Ghetto, the place where so many Jews were killed or sent to their deaths by the Nazis.
Some Jewish groups have expressed fury at the ‘senseless’ decision to install the provocative artwork.
The statue by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, entitled ``HIM``, has attracted a large number of visitors since its installation last month.
The work is visible only from a distance, and the artist has not said what he intends viewers to read into Hitler`s pose, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, one Jewish advocacy group, the Simon Wiesenthal Center, this week called the statue`s placement ``a senseless provocation which insults the memory of the Nazis`` Jewish victims`.
In total, around 300,000 Jews from the Ghetto died or were sent to their death in concentration camps.
However, others have praised the artwork`s emotional impact. And organisers defend putting it on display in the former ghetto, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?