Hitler statue in Warsaw Ghetto sparks outrage
London: A modern artist has sparked controversy by placing a statue of Adolf Hitler praying on his knees in the former Warsaw Ghetto, the place where so many Jews were killed or sent to their deaths by the Nazis.
Some Jewish groups have expressed fury at the ‘senseless’ decision to install the provocative artwork.
The statue by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, entitled ``HIM``, has attracted a large number of visitors since its installation last month.
The work is visible only from a distance, and the artist has not said what he intends viewers to read into Hitler`s pose, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, one Jewish advocacy group, the Simon Wiesenthal Center, this week called the statue`s placement ``a senseless provocation which insults the memory of the Nazis`` Jewish victims`.
In total, around 300,000 Jews from the Ghetto died or were sent to their death in concentration camps.
However, others have praised the artwork`s emotional impact. And organisers defend putting it on display in the former ghetto, the paper said.
- Deaths in rehabilitation home: Raje govt suspends erring officials
- IPL 9: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab – Probable playing XIs; players to watch out for
- WATCH: You ripper! Unplayable magic ball leaves master batsman VVS Laxman completely exposed!
- IPL 2016, Match 30: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kolkata Knight Riders - Preview
- Sebi to up vigil to check misuse of investor money by brokers