Hitler statue in Warsaw Ghetto sparks outrage
London: A modern artist has sparked controversy by placing a statue of Adolf Hitler praying on his knees in the former Warsaw Ghetto, the place where so many Jews were killed or sent to their deaths by the Nazis.
Some Jewish groups have expressed fury at the ‘senseless’ decision to install the provocative artwork.
The statue by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, entitled ``HIM``, has attracted a large number of visitors since its installation last month.
The work is visible only from a distance, and the artist has not said what he intends viewers to read into Hitler`s pose, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, one Jewish advocacy group, the Simon Wiesenthal Center, this week called the statue`s placement ``a senseless provocation which insults the memory of the Nazis`` Jewish victims`.
In total, around 300,000 Jews from the Ghetto died or were sent to their death in concentration camps.
However, others have praised the artwork`s emotional impact. And organisers defend putting it on display in the former ghetto, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!