Hitler statue in Warsaw Ghetto sparks outrage
London: A modern artist has sparked controversy by placing a statue of Adolf Hitler praying on his knees in the former Warsaw Ghetto, the place where so many Jews were killed or sent to their deaths by the Nazis.
Some Jewish groups have expressed fury at the ‘senseless’ decision to install the provocative artwork.
The statue by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, entitled ``HIM``, has attracted a large number of visitors since its installation last month.
The work is visible only from a distance, and the artist has not said what he intends viewers to read into Hitler`s pose, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, one Jewish advocacy group, the Simon Wiesenthal Center, this week called the statue`s placement ``a senseless provocation which insults the memory of the Nazis`` Jewish victims`.
In total, around 300,000 Jews from the Ghetto died or were sent to their death in concentration camps.
However, others have praised the artwork`s emotional impact. And organisers defend putting it on display in the former ghetto, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram