Hitler statue in Warsaw Ghetto sparks outrage
London: A modern artist has sparked controversy by placing a statue of Adolf Hitler praying on his knees in the former Warsaw Ghetto, the place where so many Jews were killed or sent to their deaths by the Nazis.
Some Jewish groups have expressed fury at the ‘senseless’ decision to install the provocative artwork.
The statue by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, entitled ``HIM``, has attracted a large number of visitors since its installation last month.
The work is visible only from a distance, and the artist has not said what he intends viewers to read into Hitler`s pose, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, one Jewish advocacy group, the Simon Wiesenthal Center, this week called the statue`s placement ``a senseless provocation which insults the memory of the Nazis`` Jewish victims`.
In total, around 300,000 Jews from the Ghetto died or were sent to their death in concentration camps.
However, others have praised the artwork`s emotional impact. And organisers defend putting it on display in the former ghetto, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!