Hitler was vegetarian: Fuhrer`s food taster
London: Adolf Hitler`s only surviving food taster has claimed that the Fuhrer was a dedicated vegetarian during his stay at the "Wolf`s Lair" in World War II.
Margot Woelk, 95, said that Hitler ate only the freshest fruit and vegetables during the two and a half years that she was forced to check his food for traces of poison.
During World War II, Woelk, a German citizen whose husband had been sent to fight, was taken by the Schutzstaffel (SS) to Hitler`s Eastern Front headquarters in modern-day Poland, known as the "Wolf`s Lair".
There, she joined a team of a dozen other women whose job it was to protect Hitler from any attempts to poison him, The Telegraph reported.
"Between 11 and 12 o`clock, we had to taste the food, and only after all of us had tried it was it driven to the headquarters by the SS," Woelk`s said.
"It was all vegetarian, the most delicious fresh things, from asparagus to peppers and peas, served with rice and salads. It was all arranged on one plate, just as it was served to him. There was no meat and I do not remember any fish," she said.
"Of course I was afraid. If it had been poisoned I would not be here today. We were forced to eat it, we had no choice," she added.
Hitler`s apparent enthusiasm for vegetarianism reflected the Nazi obsession with Aryan bodily purity.
A Hitler Youth manual from the 1930s promoted soya beans, which it called "Nazi beans" as an alternative to meat.
In 1942, Hitler told Joseph Goebbels that he intended to convert Germany to vegetarianism when he won the war.
But although he referred to meat broth as "corpse tea", he was not fastidious about declining meat.
Dione Lucas, his cook before the war, claimed that he was a fan of stuffed pigeon and he was also known to be partial to Bavarian sausages and the occasional slice of ham.
His table manners also came under scrutiny. In a secret diary, one German soldier wrote: "Hitler eats rapidly, mechanically. He abstractedly bites his fingernails, he runs his index finger back and forth under his nose, and his table manners are little short of shocking".
Hitler spent 800 days at the Wolf`s Lair between 1941 and November 1944, when he abandoned it as the Russians approached.
Woelk is believed to be the only surviving member of Hitler`s food tasting team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen