Hitler’s deputy’s remains exhumed, grave destroyed
Wunsiedel: The remains of Adolf Hitler`s one-time deputy Rudolf Hess have been exhumed in Germany and his grave destroyed after it became a shrine for neo-Nazis, authorities said Thursday.
The monument was razed on Wednesday "in an operation not open to the public," Roland Schoeffel, deputy mayor of the village of Wunsiedel, southern Germany said.
The remains of Hess were removed at dawn and were due to be cremated and scattered at sea, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported.
Hess was buried according to his wishes in Wunsiedel churchyard in Bavaria after his 1987 suicide in a Berlin prison aged 93. His gravestone read "Ich hab`s gewagt" ("I dared.")
But because of neo-Nazis paying homage, including performing Hitler salutes in the churchyard, the Lutheran church`s council refused a request by Hess`s descendants to extend a lease on the plot, council member Peter Seisser said.
After letters were written to the family explaining how the grave was becoming a shrine, Hess`s granddaughter held talks with the council and agreed for it to be removed.
"She said she wanted nothing more to do with it," Seisser said. "We were all very relieved."
Hess parachuted into Scotland in an apparent peace mission in 1941 without Hitler`s approval. He was kept prisoner for the remainder of World War II before being sentenced to life imprisonment at the Nuremberg trials in 1946.
From 1966 onwards, he was held as the sole prisoner at Spandau Prison in West Berlin until he was found hanged in August 1987.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot