Hitler`s diaries found in 1983 were fakes
Sydney: German newsweekly Stern prompted a worldwide sensation when in April 1983 it revealed that it had acquired Hitler`s previously undiscovered diaries.
The editors promised to later hand over 60 handwritten volumes to West Germany`s Federal Archives for posterity.
Instead the magazine`s scoop turned into a publishing debacle, when it was quickly discovered that the purported diaries were forgeries.
Now, in an unlikely coda 30 years later, fake history was formally enshrined as real history on Tuesday when Germany`s Federal Archives said it would accept a collection of the forgeries from Stern as news media rather than Nazi history, the Sydney Morning herald reported.
"The fake Hitler diaries are documents of the past," Michael Hollmann, president of the Federal Archives, said in a joint statement with Stern on Tuesday. "They are in good hands at the Federal Archives."
In 1983, editors at Stern provided a reporter, Gerd Heidemann, with millions of marks to buy what they believed to be a significant collection of Hitler`s writings as well as other documents.
The cover of the magazine declared, " Hitler`s Diaries Discovered," in red ink over a photograph of black notebooks. The diaries were also purchased by Britain`s Sunday Times.
The find was immediately greeted with scepticism by experts, but the English historian Hugh Trevor-Roper, (Lord Dacre), pronounced them genuine, lending fleeting legitimacy to the find.
His reputation was ruined when experts from the Federal Archives and Germany`s Federal Criminal Police Office established that the books were fakes.
The supposed diaries had been written by a Stuttgart dealer in Nazi memorabilia named Konrad Kujau. Kujau and Heidemann were both convicted of fraud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH